Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lake Butte Subadult - Known to locals as Snow



My husband and I watched Snow for about four hours yesterday.  It was interesting to see how she made her way through the many downed trees.  Sometimes she'd find food close to the logs and other times she would walk across the logs to get to another destination.  Walking across the logs is easier than trying to walk between the big pieces of dead wood and conserving energy is important for the bears especially this time of the year.  

There were no rangers present the whole time we were there which surprised me, but their summer staff is gone and there just aren't enough rangers to go around.  At one point Snow started to walk towards the road but apparently decided that she didn't want to deal with all the people and turned and started up the hill.  I'm glad she made that decision because she spends too much time on and near the road.  Although the rangers have been trying to change her behavior it's very difficult to do that when she was raised by the road.  I hope she stays inside the park and stays away from the road.  She's a beautiful bear and I want her to stay safe.

No comments: