Monday, October 8, 2018

Lake Butte Subadult - Known to locals as Snow


We watched Snow for about four hours yesterday.  It's always a pleasure to watch the wildlife in Yellowstone and grizzly bears are my favorite subjects.  I hadn't seen Snow much this year because it seems that every time I drove to the other side of the park she was hiding from me.  I was beginning to get a complex, so I'm glad she finally came out of hiding and entertained us for awhile.   She's the most beautiful grizzly bear I've ever seen and I enjoyed getting some new pictures of her.

Snow is what they call a "road bear".  She was raised by the road and spends entirely too much time on or near the road.  Although people love to see her this type of behavior isn't good for her.  The risk of her being hit by a car is high as is the possibility that someone might throw her some food.  When you visit the park try to remember that all the animals are wild even if they don't appear to be.  They are dangerous and can easily hurt you.  Your behavior can also hurt them.  More tourists have been feeding the wildlife this year and that often leads to the animal being euthanized.   The rangers have been trying to change Snow's behavior and encouraging her to stay back from the road, but it's very difficult to do that when she's been raised there.  If she ever comes close to your car please honk your horn and try to scare her away.  No picture is worth encouraging bad behavior on the part of the Yellowstone wildlife.

2 comments:

Dawn Adams said...

She has grown into such a beautiful bear. The first time I saw her was my first trip to Yellowstone. Raspberry and Snow were sitting there inside the East Entrance a bit. She was so small and beautiful sitting next to her Mom while I could hear Raspberry scholling her. I will never forget that day. I came to Yellowstone with hopes of seeing a Grizzly but I was trying not to get my hopes up. Driving into the park I came upon a car jam. I got out and asked someone what they were looking at. A man pointed right behind me on a small hill and OMG there they were! I took so many pics until the ranger (who had shown up right after me) saw Raspberry come to the edge of the ridge, do a fake charge (which was right above where I had parked) and then sat there starring at us. At that point the ranger ordered us all to get back in our cars. Raspberry got up with Snow right behind her Mom and walked back into the treeline. I was in love. Can't say anything else measured up that day to my first Grizzly. This year, after keeping Snow with her a year longer then normal, Raspberry chased Snow off to start her own life. I think that has been hard for her to see her Mom in passing and not even be able to go near her. She seemed alone. Now it seems she is adjusting but like you said it is always near the roads where she was raised. I love this girl. Stay safe Snow. Oneday soon you will be a Mom and then understand letting go.

Carolyn said...

Thanks for leaving a message, Dawn. I'm glad you were able to see Raspberry and Snow when Snow was so young. I didn't get to see her that first year. I'd drive over there from West Yellowstone and they were always hiding from me. I have seen them several times every year since then, though. Their relationship seemed special and maybe that's why Raspberry kept Snow with her for an extra year. Snow seems to be doing fine and, hopefully, next year Raspberry will have some new cubs for us to enjoy watching.