Friday, July 15, 2011

The Power of Music

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." Victor Hugo (1802-1855), France

Sometimes music can express what words can't.  If you don't believe this, look at the number of opera goers who are wiping their eyes during the entire opera even though they can't understand one single word of the song.  The tone, the expression of the singer, the beauty of the voice can often say volumes.  Although you might not be able to tell exactly what problems the actor/actress is having, you can feel the deepness of their pain through the music.  One of my cousins told me recently about listening to a song while on vacation.  She couldn't understand one single word of what the singer was saying, but the music was so powerful that it moved her to tears.   They say that music can soothe the soul.  I don't know about you, but I think it's true. 

You've probably seen this picture before, but I wanted to use it again with this quote.  The guitar was my moms.  She played it for me when I was a kid, played it for my grandsons & I've played it a little bit as well, although I'm not very good.  The sax is a Melody C, which my grandpa played in the Union Pacific Band years ago and my mom played later in high school.  She stopped playing it because they stopped producing music for it.  I don't know anything about saxophones, but my son said it's totally different than the one he played.  The violin is the one I played for about four years in junior high school.  I haven't touched it since and, unfortunately, the bridge is broken and the horsehair has come out of the bow.  Perhaps I'll get it fixed some day, but would have no idea how to play it now.

I hope you've enjoyed this rather long-winded blog and will visit again.  Have a wonderful week-end!

No comments: