Friday, March 31, 2017

Man Is Not Himself Only















Man is not himself only . . . He is all that he sees; all that flows to him from a thousand sources . . . He is the land, the lift of its mountain lines, the reach of its valleys.  Mary Austin.

I guess what Mary Austin is saying here is that what makes us up, our very being, is influenced and is a part of everything around us.  So, I guess it would make sense to try to be around things that are beautiful and uplifting.  If we surround ourselves with darkness, sadness and despair doesn't it make sense that it would have a negative effect on us?   I think it does, but there are some people who can't change their surroundings for one reason or another.  For those people, perhaps listening to beautiful music, watching uplifting movies or surrounding themselves with as much beauty as possible could help to improve their lives at least in a small way.  I think doing those things is probably good for all of us anyway.  I know that when I'm stressed out or in a bad mood, if I put on headphones and listen to my favorite songs it improves my mood and makes the world seem like a better place.   So, do something nice for yourself whether it's listening to music, watching a good movie, cuddling up with your significant other or just hanging out.  Try to surround yourself with beautiful things.  It can't hurt!  :-)

No comments: