Saturday, July 17, 2010

Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

"The glories and the beauties of form, color and sound unite in the Grand Canyon - forms unrivalled even by the mountains, colors that vie sunsets, and sounds that span the diapason from tempest to tinkling raindrops, from cataract to bubbling fountains." John Wesley Powell (1834-1902) USA


I know this isn't the Grand Canyon. I haven't been there for many years, and don't really have any good pictures of it, so I thought I'd share this picture of the Canyon of the Yellowstone.
Although it isn't as large, it is still a beautiful place, one that makes you realize how powerful and majestic nature can be. One of these days, I'm going to get up early enough to be there at sunrise, when the light brings out the magnificent colors of the rocks. That would, of course, require getting out of bed at about 3:00 a.m., since our motel is not close to the spot. If I ever make it, I'll be sure to share the images on my blog. If I were you, though, I wouldn't hold my breathe.

2 comments:

Faylin Myhre said...

I love this spot, great photo Carolyn! And it is good to have goals, you might surprise yourself and get that early morning shot!

Carolyn Fox said...

Thanks, Faylin. I don't know. I'd have to get up in the middle of the night to get there by sunrise. It might be worth it, though. :-)