Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Be Kind





"Feel the pain of others. Understand their struggles and disappointments, their hardships and inadequacies, and open your heart to them. Realize that everyone is doing the best they possibly can. Judge no one. But rather cradle all of humanity in your heart." - Daniel Levin

If we all lived by these words, the world would be a better place. We're often too quick to judge other people instead of taking the time to try to understand them & realize that they're actions are greatly influced by how they were raised & by what is going on in their lives.

And now, for a photo comment. These pictures are of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, in Yellowstone National Park which, if you've been following my blog, you know is one of my very favorite places to visit. Although I like the pictures, one of these days I'm going to get to this spot during the "magic hour" (the hour before and after sunrise or sunset), & get the results that only good lighting can provide. Until then, I hope you enjoy these. The one on the top was enhanced using a PhotoShop plug-in called Topaz Adjust. In my opinion, nothing can take the place of the light that Nature provides us during the "magic hour", but sometimes plug-ins or filters can help bring out the colors. Which version do you prefer, the original or the enhanced version? I'm interested in your opinions, so please leave me a message so I'll know you were here.

5 comments:

Joe Brady said...

Love the shot of the falls - I was there three weeks ago and loved it! I'm going to offer a third choice though. I just finished doing an HDR workshop with Rick Sammon in St. Augustine FL and we showed everyone how to use Topaz.
Your falls image with Topaz really brings our the color and detail but the effect is strong in the foreground as well which draws your eye away. I'd love to see the image with the Topaz image on a layer with the effect partially masked out around the foreground and left alone around the falls - that would be my choice if I get to pick choice number 3! In any case, a beautiful image in a beautiful location - nice job!

Carolyn Fox said...

Thanks for your comments, Joe. I'll try that and post the image on a future blog post. It is a beautiful spot. I love it there! We got our tripod the other day, but haven't tried it out yet. Thanks for your help with that at the PSA conference.

Sharon said...

I have photos taken by my Father of these falls from 1952 and it still looks the same. Amazing with all the erosion that is sure to have happened since then. I like photo 2 best but really agree that getting the shot with morning light would be the best option.

Sharon Day said...

I love this shot, Carolyn!!! I prefer the Topaz version. I wasn't sure if you were asking for critique on the editing or just which one people prefer so I'm just saying I like the Topaz best. BTW, I think the light is better in the mornings. I guess it can depend on what time of year you shoot as well, but my experience at shooting in the evening was the sun was more of a factor in the evening causing the sky to blow without filters. I thought the sky was nicer in the morning and ND grads were not needed. I was there in the month of July.

Carolyn Fox said...

Sharon and Sharon, thanks for the comments. I'm sure it has changed some, just not enough that we can notice it. I'm sure it does depend on what time of the year you shoot it, but I think morning light would be best too. Since the falls aren't close to any lodging, though, that would be one heck of an early morning! I think I'd have to go to sleep about 4:00 p.m. in order to get up early enough. Oh, to be young again. LOL!