Saturday, October 10, 2009

Simplicity

I know I've used this title before, but I thought this picture of the Kansas prairie required its' use again. Blue sky, trees & grass combine to create a restful and simple picture. It's the type of picture that makes me think of how brave our ancestors, the American pioneers, were to cross this vast prairie in nothing but a covered wagon. Would we have the tenacity and courage to do the same thing today or are we too spoiled with our air conditioning, television and Internet to take on such a task? When I go on vacation in my air conditioned car with XM radio, I don't like to be without the Internet for even one day. It seems like such a hardship to not be able to check my email, post on Twitter, post to my blog, etc. I don't think most of us really know what hardship means. I'm not advocating the end to our luxuries, but I think we should be aware of those who came before us and appreciate the sacrifices they made. I'll get off my soapbox now. Have a great day! :)

2 comments:

Colleen Farrell said...

Beautiful photo and post, Carolyn! Not a soap-box, but very good ideas to consider. I often think of how many luxuries we enjoy compared to billions of other people in the world. I feel so deprived when my computer's broken or the power goes out. Then I remember how many people live without all this!

Carolyn Fox said...

Thanks, Colleen.