Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Simple Things



I believe a blade of grass is no less than the journey-work of the stars. Walt Whitman



I'm sure I have a picture of a few blades of grass somewhere, but I didn't want to search my hard drive this morning, so this picture of the Kansas prairie will have to do. That's ok, though, because it will help to illustrate an important point. Several years ago I used to think that driving from Missouri to Colorado, across the Kansas prairie, was a boring and useless drive, something that just had to be endured to get to "beautiful" Colorado. Apparently, at that time, I was not truly "seeing" the details of the prairie and how the sun could light up individual blades of grass or cast interesting shadows across fields of grain. How we see can have a big impact on our ability to make good photographs. After all, how can we take interesting photos of the simple beauties of nature if we don't truly see and appreciate them? It's easy to look at the beautiful mountains of Colorado or Wyoming and know that they'll make a wonderful photograph, but sometimes it takes a little more effort to see the possibilities in the simple things. I'm making a concerted effort to really "see" what I look at. I hope you'll do the same, because it makes life a lot more interesting and more fun.

2 comments:

Faylin Myhre said...

Great post Carolyn, this is exactly what I am learning right now. I would love to live in Colorado or near the ocean but I don't. There is beauty all around us if we look for it. No where I've traveled has a sunset like North Dakota! Beauty in the eye of the beholder!

Carolyn Fox said...

Very true, Faylin. We so often overlook what we're used to seeing.

As always, thanks for your post.